Selasa, 18 Maret 2008

Running Microsoft Vista on MacBook - Works Like a Charm!

  • The very first thing after setting up my brand new sparkling white MacBook (2GHZ) to install necessary updates and download Boot camp. Bootcamp is a partition manager and currently still available for free as it is in BETA. By then I already had some concerns as I had only bought an update to an old 2K license I have which would require a "clean" update anyway - so fingers crossed and let's hope for the best!
  • I should have read the Boot Camp user file first - than I would have know that the Win2K update was a bit too ambitious! Luckily I had not opened the my Vista Home Premium upgrade box an could return it and buy the FULL version.
  • With all the requirements fulfilled I took a deep breath and started the process in MacOSX:
  • Read the "read me" file coming with Bootcamp
  • Print out the User guide (or have it on a second PC)
  • Installing Bootcamp - no problem at all - just double click the file you just downloaded and follow the screens, I decided to go for the 32GB FAT partition and will most likely use the laptop with a small external Hard drive or maybe upgrade to a bigger one later on.
  • During the process you will have to insert a CD where Bootcamp will save the required vista drivers for your MacBook.
  • The MacBook then restarted directly in Windows mode and asks you to insert the operation system you wish to install. In my case the Vista Home Premium CD followed by the serial number. I also allowed the system to check the number directly online. (You can also upgrade from Microsoft XP but will need in this case to install XP first and upgrade with Vista later.)
  • Vista Installation started and about 30 minutes and a few restarts later everything was done!

    That certainly was the easiest OS installation I had done so far - and I now have the choice between OSX 10 (Tiger) and Vista - on a beautiful sleek looking laptop - what more could I want?

    I cannot say much about the performance with this setup - but I would not count on the promised 6 hours maximum battery life With regards to software running under Vista - Firefox and Skype work just fine as well as of course Office applications. If you are using Zone Laps as a firewall you will be disappointed as I could not get it running just yet.

    So far so good - that's all I can report at the moment but I thought I let you know anyway. Simply because if you are going into a computer store and ask the staff - I only got a very weak smile when I wanted to buy the Apple Mac + Vista, alongside some recommendations buying "VistaforMac" (which as far as I know does not exist!) or emulator software.

    Anyway - It works!

    Best regards,

    Anja

  • Anja began her career in Information Technology more than 11 years ago as a Graphic and Web Designer. As one of the project managers, Anja was responsible for the launch of the international website for the car manufacturer BMW (http://www.bmw.com) and has also worked on web projects for national television in Germany (SWR) and the DTI in the UK.

    http://www.tetridia.com/

    0 komentar: